The power of reviews and how to get good ones
Marketing & Social
How subscribing to podcasts can benefit your business
by Team Holly & Co
What’s the best subscription you could ever imagine getting for your business? Insightful trend reports? Whizzy software packages? Afternoon tea delivered daily to your doorstep?
Podcasts might not be the immediate thing you would think of to help boost morale or trade, or even just encourage fresh ideas to set you up for the future or more efficient ways of working, for example — but many are providing exactly that. And unlike other subscriptions, a weekly podcast instalment could change the trajectory of your business or answer any burning questions you might have, completely free of charge.
It’s easier than ever to discover, subscribe and listen to podcasts, too. According to Listen Notes there are at least 2,751,157 series available and 123,236,633 episodes in the world¹. Furthermore, they cover every subject one could imagine from business, comedy, news, arts, health and fitness, to true crime, leisure, TV and film, kids and family… the list goes on.
Any one of these could inform, educate or inspire you to try new things. Yet if you find a series where fellow founders share the secrets to their success, the pitfalls to avoid or just provide you with the bit of encouragement you didn’t even know you needed each week, the benefits to your business can be immense. Especially as so many founders work alone. Regularly hearing from others who’ve been there and done it might just provide you with the boost you need. And the best bit? When you subscribe to podcasts, you don’t even have to remember to search for them as they come to you. You don’t need to keep track of what you’ve listened to, or where you got to either, as the app does that for you.
It’s easier than ever to discover, subscribe and listen to podcasts, too. According to Listen Notes there are at least 2,751,157 series available and 123,236,633 episodes in the world¹.
Plus new episodes will automatically be sent directly to your device, so every time you open the app, the latest recording will be there, ready and waiting. Then depending on your settings, they might even be downloaded already, so you don’t need to be online to listen. This means you can pick your podcast up and put it down in between packing orders or any of your other jobs; so that they really fit around your working life. Want to know three more key benefits to subscribing to a series you love?
- You can be the first to hear from world class experts. We often say how just five minutes with our business idols could change our lives; well you can enjoy hours of time with yours, week in week out. Plus if you subscribe, you will be the first to enjoy their words of wisdom and ensure you’re staying one step ahead of the competition.
- You can get the nudge you need consistently each week. Founders need regular creative fuel to help keep you moving forward, and the secret to making creativity part of your weekly routine is planning it into your life. By subscribing to podcasts that power your imagination or provide innovative solutions, you’ll always get a gentle reminder to take time out to recharge your mind. Plus unlike binge-watching on Netflix for example, there’s something more mindful about having a regular inspiration fix to look forward to each week.
- You can enjoy a more convenient way to listen. When you subscribe to podcasts, you no longer have to search for them or remember to tune in. Instead, your podcast app will keep track of everything for you — so you can focus on what’s important; your business.
The practical bit…
If you are starting to think this all sounds like a bit of a no brainer (which it is), here’s how to subscribe to your favourite podcasts on the most popular channels so you never miss an episode. Here’s how it works in iTunes, Spotify and Google Play.
How to subscribe to a podcast in iTunes:
- Tap ‘search’ inside the Apple Podcasts app
- Type a podcast name or topic into the search bar, and ensure ‘all podcasts’ is selected
- Tap the podcast you’d like to subscribe to (our five star rated Conversations of Inspiration is a good place to start if you’re a small business looking for inspiration)
- Tap the ‘subscribe’ button, top-centre, beside the podcast artwork and you are all set
- Tap ‘library’ to see your current subscriptions and start listening
How to subscribe to a podcast in Spotify:
- Go to the podcast show page
- Find the follow link in the show description
- Enter your details and tap ‘follow’
How to subscribe to a podcast in Google Play:
- Open the app
- Go to ‘activity’
- Tap the ‘subscriptions’ tab
- Select the three dots in the top right-hand corner
- Then tap ‘add by RSS feed’
Founders need regular creative fuel to help keep you moving forward, and the secret to making creativity part of your weekly routine is planning it into your life. By subscribing to podcasts that power your imagination or provide innovative solutions, you’ll always get a gentle reminder to take time out to recharge your mind.
Now it’s your turn. As mentioned earlier, our Conversations of Inspiration podcast shares golden advice and ungoogleable insight from the UK’s best loved brands, creatives and entrepreneurs that will lift the soul and challenge the way you look at life and work. Subscribing will ensure you never miss an episode, and set up good habits for the future.